Sunday, April 3, 2011

Antoine Vollon (April 23, 1833 – August 27, 1900)

                                                                                                        
Haystacks

Vollon was a tremendous force in the art world during his lifetime, despite certain prominent critics, such as Manet, yet, while retaining a semblance of celebration after his death, his stature has fallen considerably. His reputations fall could be due, in part, to the fact that he was and is known in many circles far more for his still lifes than his other works, and, as I've discussed before, there is a general, pernicious sentiment in the art world that still lifes are lesser works. But what marvelous still lifes Vallon created! 

Still Life with a Pen, Jug, Bottle and Eggs on a Table
1871

Portrait of a Man

In the Roost

View of Antwerp
1871

2 comments:

  1. These are lovely.I am always glad to learn of an artist that is new to me .... & also to support the humble still life, which remains a favorite subject matter to me.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I had a great visit in NYC & am looking forward to my next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sally, thank you for the comment. I'm happy to have a fellow still life supporter over here.

    And your blog's charming. I hope others from here have a chance to visit it.

    ReplyDelete