Friday, February 25, 2011

Utagawa Kuniyoshi (January 1, 1798 - April 14, 1861)

                                                                                      
Takiyasha the Witch and the Skeleton Specter 

I think it would be a bit unfair of me to comment on Kuniyoshi, since, honestly, I don't know very much about the artist (please feel free to ridicule and inform me in the comments section). As for Ukiyo-e, which was a type of woodblock print created in Japan in the 17th century. As the prints were imported to Europe, they had a strong influence on the Impressionists onwards, such as on Degas, van Gogh, MonetToulouse-LautrecWhistler, etcetera. Despite my ignorance concerning the artist, I do find his prints to be absolutely wonderful, with an amazing sense of design and very beautiful flourishes of the macabre. 

On the Banks of the Sumida in Mimayagashi
1833

Ayus Swimming Upstream with Hagi Branch
1830-1844

Ichikawa Danjuro VII and Iwai Hanshiro VI
1836

No comments:

Post a Comment