Sunday, December 26, 2010

Roy Lichtenstein (October 27, 1923 – September 29, 1997)

                                                                                            
O.K. Hotshot
1963

Pop Art was largely a reaction to the aesthetics of consumerism. Whatever you may think about it, Lichtenstein viewed it with a very sarcastic eye: of his art, Lichtenstein said, "The closer my work is to the original, the more threatening and critical the content." While that quote might make him seem to be a grave critic of modern culture, in fact he had a very different opinion of himself: "I think my work is different from comic strips, but I wouldn't call it transformation; I don't think that whatever is meant by it is important to art." What do you think of his pieces?

Girl at Piano
1963

Grrrrrrrrrrr!!
1965

I know ... Brad
1963

No comments:

Post a Comment